Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume purged, why?

2008-05-04 00:32:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume purged, why?
From: sporkman <spork AT bway DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 21:32:20 -0700 (PDT)

John Drescher-2 wrote:

> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 11:21 PM, sporkman <spork AT bway DOT net> wrote:
>>

>>  On Sat 03 May 2008 16:03, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>>  >> I recently noticed that two of my monthly tapes were purged, and I'm
>>  >> trying to figure out why.
>>  >>
>>  >> My pool definition:
>>  >>
>>  >> Pool {
>>  >>    Name = Monthly
>>  >>    Pool Type = Backup
>>  >>    Recycle = no                        # Bacula can automatically
>> recycle
>>  >> Volumes
>>  >>    AutoPrune = yes                   # Prune expired volumes
>>  >>    Volume Retention =  2 years
>>  >>    Volume Use Duration = 1 month
>>  >>    Maximum Volumes = 12
>>  >>    LabelFormat = "Monthly"
>>  >> }
>>  >>
>>  >> I was looking at the Volume recycling docs here:
>>  >>
>>  >>
>> http://bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.h
>>  >>tml
>>  >>
>>  >> And it seems like these volumes should not be pruned until the Volume
>>  >> Retention period is met.
>>  >>

>> > Yes, the default file retention period is 60 days and the default job
>>  > retention is 180 days. Auto pruning operates on files, jobs & volumes.
>> It
>>  > would appear that all of the files and jobs related to these volumes
>> had
>>  > been
>>  > pruned from your catalog. Once they all were pruned the volumes were
>>  > marked
>>  > as purged.
>>
>>  That contradicts the documentation though...
>>
>>>From the way I read it there is no contradiction.
>>
>>  "The Volume Retention period takes precedence over any Job Retention
>> period
>>  you have specified in the Client resource."
>>
>>  In other words, Volume Retention is the only thing that counts, right?
>>
> No. I believe it means that if Volume Retention is less than file or
> job retention then the volume could still  be pruned instead of having
> to wait for the other two retention periods.
>
> John

Odd.  I just looked at all my job and client definitions and there is no
retention declared anywhere.  I also still read "takes precedence" as
"overrides", as does my wife, formerly an english prof.  :)

Grepping around and removing anything with a comment in front of it, I get
this:

bacula-dir.conf:  Volume Retention = 365 days         # one year
bacula-dir.conf:  Volume Retention =  2 years        # one year
bacula-dir.conf:  Volume Retention =  3 months         # one month
bacula-dir.conf:  Volume Retention = 1 month           # 5 days

Those are all from my pool definitions.

Either something broke or I am losing my mind...

Thanks,

Charles

ps - apologies for any formatting oddness, I'm trying Nabble as a way to
search/post to lists that I don't want coming directly to my inbox.  It
looks fine within their interface, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.