Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup solution for mobile clients like laptops ?

2008-05-03 06:46:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup solution for mobile clients like laptops ?
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 13:44:49 +0300
On Saturday 03 May 2008 12:32:47 Peter Koch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> did anyone implemented a backup solution for mobile clients like laptops,
> etc? For some Desktops i am using Wake on Lan and client side shutdown, but
> mobile Clients aren´t really handle with a regular schedule, I am searching
> about some hints ...
>
> Many thanks,
> Peter

Hi.

I've configured consoles with appropriate ACLs for laptops so that they can
run their jobs themselves, and then created batch-file onto their desktop.
That connects to bacula-dir and runs the job. As all the machines have
generally quite static IP within LAN, the director knows how to contact them.

For laptops outside LAN, I use OpenVPN to let them connect to the server, get
always the same IP, and run their jobs over VPN. OpenVPN can be started
automatically within the batch-script too and it disconnects when it's closed
or laptop is turned off.

The only issue I have to solve now, is to figure out how to push certain
backup-levels (instead of incremental all the time) to jobs without having
"Schedule" directive specified.

--
Silver