BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Boot drive failure recovery options?

2014-12-31 09:49:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Boot drive failure recovery options?
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 14:30:11 +0000
On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 11:30:43PM -0800, Craig Barratt wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 30, 2014, Ed Willis <ewillis AT jesande DOT com> wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to restore my latest full backup using the Windows
> machines I've got handy?
> >

> If you first install cygwin (including perl and gcc), you should be able to
> install the necessary perl modules and then BackupPC from the virgin SF
> tarball.  Assuming you get the basic config pointing at the right
> directories then BackupPC_tarCreate and BackupPC_zcat should work from your
> favorite cygwin shell command-line.

Another alternative is to use/create a live usb thumb drive to boot
the machine into linux without touching the windows disk.

Then you should be able to follow Craig's advise to cpan install the
perl modules and backuppc software on the drive.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Dyn Corporation      603-244-9084 (cell)