BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Execute script before backup

2014-12-17 04:19:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Execute script before backup
From: Colin Shorts <c.shorts AT intrallect DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:17:58 +0000
On 17/12/14 07:50, Ibon Castilla wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I have tested the workaround proposed by Colin, and I have a comment
> and a question about it:
>
> * Comment: the idea was to use BackupPC_serverMesg to launch the
> backup, and then use that command again to test if the server ended
> that backup successfully.
> I've realized that the command just tells the server to launch the
> backup, but it really doesn't do that action by itself, so I have to
> ask to the server many times if the backup has finished yet.
> Instead of BackupPC_serverMesg I've decided to use BackupPC_dump,
> because this one does the backup by itself. This way, when it finishes
> a backup I can set down the VPN tunnel without asking the server.
>
> * Question: to use BackupPC_dump, the host must be defined on the host
> file. This way BackupPC will try to back it up as a "regular" host,
> and to avoid that I've been trying to use $Conf{BackupsDisable} on
> my_host.pl file. If I set that parameter to 1 or 2, then BackupPC_dump
> complains about it, saying that the host is configured to avoid
> backups. Is there a way to set up the configuration of my_host and at
> the same time avoid BackupPC to back ip up as a regular host, and just
> when I want to do it manually?.
You might be better to leave the backups enabled and just increase the
ages (FullPeriod and IncrPeriod) from 6.97 and 0.97 respectively, to
something a little higher, that way the backuppc won't attempt to backup
the host as long as your scheduled task is working. That said, there was
a follow-up from Les Mikesell that might work better.

Cheers,
Colin

>>> http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net Project:
>>> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Colin Shorts
c.shorts AT intrallect DOT com
+44 (0) 131 292 0104

http://www.intrallect.com
137A George Street, Edinburgh, EH2 4JY, Scotland
Intrallect is part of the Leading Software Group