BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Retrying failed files from a full backup in subsequent incremental backups

2014-12-01 14:30:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Retrying failed files from a full backup in subsequent incremental backups
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 20:27:42 +0100
Hi,

Adam Goryachev wrote on 2014-12-01 10:34:18 +1100 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Retrying failed files from a full backup in subsequent incremental backups]:

for rsync(d), the next backup (incremental or full) should always contain any
files not in the previous backup (or "reference backup", to be exact),
regardless of modification time. This is because rsync, in contrast to tar/smb,
always compares a full file list on both sides.

> [...]
> > I'm using Version 3.3 (Ubuntu), and since skipping
> > one file does not count as failure,
> How do you define "skipping one file does not count as failure" ?
> I suppose it depends on "why" the file was skipped. I think failure due
> to permission error, or similar are not considered failures for the
> backup overall, so in some cases they will be skipped, while in others,
> it will be a fatal failure and the backup will not continue passed that
> file.

I agree with that, but I can't say exactly which failures there can be or
which are treated how. I also don't know what happens when a file is
"skipped". It could be treated as unchanged or marked as deleted. This
probably depends on what native rsync on the remote side does.

> > and since that file isn't written
> > since the full backup, it doesn't get backed up in subsequent
> > (incremental) backups.

I don't agree with that, at least for rsync(d) (which, I believe, we're
talking about). See above (full file list comparison).

> > Also, whenever theren is a connection problem, all the downloaded files
> > from the next, incremental backup are thrown away. I'm currently
> > circumventing that problem manually.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you talking about an incremental
backup following an interrupted backup (that's what it sounds like to me) or
an interrupted incremental backup (answered by Adam)?

> Although I think that is a config setting, so your config might be
> different to mine (ie, keeping failed full backups is a config setting,
> I don't think there is any option to keep failed incremental backups).

Correct. $Conf {PartialAgeMax} limits the applicability of a partial backup to
speed up the next attempt at the (failed) full backup or disables keeping
partial backups altogether.

Regards,
Holger