BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why "Child is aborting"?

2014-12-01 11:32:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why "Child is aborting"?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "cvoelker AT knebb DOT de" <cvoelker AT knebb DOT de>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 10:30:52 -0600
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 3:10 AM, Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
wrote:

>> 1) You know the file content will change every day
>> 2) It will therefore consume the total (compressed if you enable
>> compression) size on the backuppc server for every full/incremental you keep
> This is something I did not have in mind, indeed! Then it really does
> not make much sense to perform the backup this way.

Might be an interesting place to try the v4 alpha:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/backuppc/files/backuppc-beta/4.0.0alpha3/
per http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/BackupPC-4.0.0alpha3_doc.html#BackupPC-4.0
it stores reverse deltas for files with changes.

> Sounds like a very good idea. But I am having some issues in handling
> everything correctly.
> First, my large vmdk files are stored as "thin disks" which means they
> are sparse files. How do I handle them correctly?
> Just using "split" does not work as it creates full sized chunks then.
> Busybox-tar does not implement the "-S" for sparse file.
> rsync handles sparse files, but does not pipe them into split.
> cpio does not handle sparse files in copy-out mode.
> Any other tools known?
> Looks like I have to ignore the fact of handling sparse files and always
> transfer even zero data...

I think most things that handle sparse files still expand to zeros on
the read since that's the way the filesystem works.  They just do
seeks over blocks of zeros on the writes - which may not exactly match
the source.  Not sure how backuppc v4 works in this respect, but it
claims to use the native binary on the server instead of the perl
implementation.   If you use compression, blocks of zeros compress
nicely anyway.