BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why "Child is aborting"?

2014-12-01 04:12:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why "Child is aborting"?
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 10:10:15 +0100
Hi Adam,
> Given the size of the file seems to be part of the issue, along with the
> remote end being the one to close the connection unexpectedly, can you try:
> a) Use rsync (outside of backuppc) to transfer the file, preferably
> using protocol 28.
Worked fine so far I tested.

> b) Check the logs on the client side, and enable debugging as needed, to
> find out if there is any issue.
No logs there- as rsync is not a default tool provided by VMware.

> Personally, I think you are somewhat crazy trying to do this for a few
> reasons:
I know i am crazy ;)

> 1) You know the file content will change every day
> 2) It will therefore consume the total (compressed if you enable
> compression) size on the backuppc server for every full/incremental you keep
This is something I did not have in mind, indeed! Then it really does
not make much sense to perform the backup this way.

> 3) There is little to no benefit in storing a disk image in backuppc
There is as I want to have some (especially Windows VMs) backed up as
images. for me Windows is so unreliable it takes me ages to get a
Windows machine back to it's previous state when installing from scratch.
> However, I regularly do the following with large files that need to
> backed up, such as database dumps (backups), or disk images:
> 1) in a pre-backup, I shutdown the VM
> 2) split the disk image into a series of small files (between 10MB and
> 100MB each)
> 3) start the VM
> 4) allow backuppc to backup the chunks
Sounds like a very good idea. But I am having some issues in handling
everything correctly.
First, my large vmdk files are stored as "thin disks" which means they
are sparse files. How do I handle them correctly?
Just using "split" does not work as it creates full sized chunks then.
Busybox-tar does not implement the "-S" for sparse file.
rsync handles sparse files, but does not pipe them into split.
cpio does not handle sparse files in copy-out mode.
Any other tools known?
Looks like I have to ignore the fact of handling sparse files and always
transfer even zero data...

> Hope something in all that will help you.
Yes, it makes perfectly sense, indeed. I will try if I can find a way to
handle sparse files corretly. Otherwise I will treat them as normal files.

Thanks!

Christian