BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc failing on backup "Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)"

2014-04-08 02:12:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc failing on backup "Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)"
From: Darren Latham <westoztux AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 14:10:46 +0800

On Monday, April 7, 2014, Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:
On 07/04/14 11:31, westoztux wrote:
> Hello All
> I have a 5 servers backing up happily with backuppc which runs debian 6
> the other servers that have been running correctly for months are a mix
> of centos6 and debian 6 all servers run ssh on the same non-standard
> port and i have public key authentication setup on all servers. i have
> tried to add another server which is a debian 7 box and I can not get
> this server to backup it fails when trying to connect with this error on
> the client  sshd[8911]: Connection closed by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [preauth] .
> If I try to manually connect with ssh -l backuppc xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx whoami
> it logs in and returns the backuppc user which i can see in the auth.log
> on the client. As on all servers I use backuppc as the user and add them
> to sudoers to be able to run rsync .  I have been able to fix setup
> issues on the previous boxes by searching mainly these mailing lists but
> over the last couple weeks I have been unable to find the information I
> need . Im not sure if I missing something simple or there is something
> else going on if others can give me some ideas of what I need to check
> next to try and correct this issue it would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Make sure you are running the command:

ssh -l backuppc xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx whoami

FROM the backuppc server AND AS the backuppc user, AND xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
is the exact same hostname that backuppc will use when attempting to run
the backup. You should see the command line backuppc runs in the failed
logs, you can get the hostname from there.

You may simply need to add the host key for backuppc, which you will be
able to do from the above.

Regards,
Adam

--