BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc failing on backup "Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)"

2014-04-07 09:52:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc failing on backup "Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)"
From: westoztux <westoztux AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 21:50:31 +0800
On 07/04/14 20:48, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 3:07 AM, westoztux <westoztux AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>> I can confirm that I can connect from the backuppc server and as the
>> backuppc user to the host using the ip address which is the same address
>> as used in the command that backuppc uses .
>
> Does the target host output anything (like a message of the day
> greeting) before running the command you sent?  The rsync
> implementation in backuppc can't handle extraneous data, although
> stock rsync can ignore it.

Thanks Les
When i log in via ssh directly to the client machine i see no motd. Do i
need to check this another way ?  If i run the backup command that
backuppc uses from the server I get a strange character appear on the
ssh terminal of the backuppc server , on the client in auth.log i see
the server connect successfully   and then  run the command sudo:
backuppc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/backuppc ; USER=root ;
COMMAND=/usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner
--group -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
-vv --ignore-times . /home/  . I have checked my other servers that are
working and they return this same character if i run the command
manually.  Thanks

Regards
Darren