BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Schedule in host config not picking up blackout period

2014-02-24 22:02:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Schedule in host config not picking up blackout period
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Adam Hardy <adam.hardy AT cyberspaceroad DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 03:52:58 +0100
Hi,

Adam Hardy wrote on 2014-02-24 10:47:38 +0000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Schedule in
host config not picking up blackout period]:

> Les Mikesell on 2/21/2014 5:35 PM, wrote:
> > > I think I'll take the advice and set the WakeupSchedule to nighttime only.
> > Then you'll lose the chance to catch machines that were turned off at night.

also, WakeupSchedule is a global option, meaning it applies to all hosts - you
can't set it in the host config. If you want to backup *all hosts* *only during
the night*, then that's fine, and there's no point in scheduling wakeups for
the daytime (you can still do *manual* backups at any time). Otherwise you'll
need to keep your wakeups during the daytime for those hosts you want them to
apply to.

You can set BlackoutGoodCnt to 0 (in the host config) to force the blackout
setting to apply for any individual host regardless of its ping status.

Aside from that, I'd expect both '0' and '24' as end settings to work equally
well. There's no ambiguity there. There's no second meaning that could apply
to either '0' or '24'.

Actually, I'd guess that even '25' or '100' would work. I can't think of a
reason to use those values, though, unless you believe the number of hours
per day is likely to change any time soon :-).

> In this case I was thinking of making a requirement for deliberate backups,
> i.e. if you want a backup, leave the laptop connected overnight.

That makes perfect sense for data the user is responsible for. On the other
hand, you might have data that is crucial for the company, or you might want
to track the status of the notebooks (e.g. /etc). For a small enough data set,
you can likely run a backup at any time without causing problems.

Finally, I don't know your users, but mine would probably tend to *never*
leave their notebook connected for backup, and then complain when no backed
up data is available. With a BlackoutGoodCnt of 1 and a BlackoutBadPingLimit
of something like 168 (depending on number of wakeups per day) you could, for
example, enforce a weekly backup. Anyone leaving their notebook connected at
least once per week (*) would have it backed up at night. Those who do not
would be 'reminded' by the backup then done during the daytime. If you set
the email reminder to be sent after 6 days, they would even get the chance
to avoid that experience, if they don't appreciate it ;-).

Regards,
Holger

(*) Meaning that they leave it connected again before 7 days have passed since
    the last backup. Obviously, leaving it connected the first week on monday
    and the second week on friday will not suffice.