BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Rsync on Windows 8 - Service Logon Failure?

2013-12-19 13:02:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Rsync on Windows 8 - Service Logon Failure?
From: threehappypenguins <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:49:56 -0800
I'm running Windows 8 and I am really having trouble understanding what on
earth I'm supposed to do. I am following this tutorial:
http://www.gaztronics.net/howtos/rsync-windows.php

I successfully installed Cygwin and installed the appropriate packages, but I
don't understand how to do this:

Method 2. Step 2: Choose an area to backup the files to. (In this example I
have used /var/rsync_dump in the Cygwin tree.)
Method 2. Step 3: Create the /etc/rsyncd.conf file, as in the example below:
(and then it shows the example)

So I assumed that he meant to open Windows explorer and manually create the
/var/rsync_dump folders as sub folders in the folder cygwin (in my case, it's
cygwin64). And then I created the sub folder /etc/. Then I wasn't  sure what to
do about the rsyncd.conf so I opened notepad, copied and pasted the "example"
(but changed the path to cygwin64), saved it with the appropriate file name,
then changed the extension to .conf and moved that to the "etc" folder.

Then I followed step 4 (it finally worked after I gave some permissions using
command prompt first).

Then he said: Method 2. Step 5 Install Rsync as a Service from a 'Command
Prompt' window with the following command line:

I had assumed that he meant the command prompt that in windows. I ran it as an
Administrator and I tried putting the line for Windows XP (changing cygwin to
cygwin64 where appropriate). I got the following result:

'cygrunsrv.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

So then I ran the cygwin terminal as an Administrator. I put in the line the
tutorial gave and nothing happened. So I assumed it worked, because when I put
it in again, it said that it couldn't do it because the service was already
running. So then I put "net start rsync". I got the following result:

The service did not start due to a logon failure.

I right clicked on Computer and clicked on Manage. I found the rsync service
and saw that it was set to run Automatically, but it wasn't running. I tried to
start it and it said the exact same thing as in the cygwin terminal.

So I'm totally at a loss! Any ideas as to where I'm going wrong?