BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping a large number of backups? Any drawbacks?

2013-12-05 14:02:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping a large number of backups? Any drawbacks?
From: Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan <sharuzzaman AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 03:01:02 +0800
Hi David,

My concern is your backup volume is a single point of failure. This is because you merge the two disk together like RAID 0. If any of your disk fail, your whole volume will be gone.

If you can, make it into RAID 1, so that you will get 3TB space together with peace in mind. You can lost any one of the disk, and you will still have your data.

Regarding how much to retain, I usually set my customer backuppc to 4,0,1,1 ; which is 4 copy weekly backup, none for bi-weekly, 1 copy every 4 week (1 month), and 1 copy every 8 week (2 month)

You can try to increase the count for 4 week, eg, from 1 increment until 12, which should cover every month until 1 year, and see how much data that your system could handle. Or, if you are daring enough, increase the weekly count from 1 increment until 52, which should cover every week for the whole year.