BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Data migration

2013-12-05 17:19:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Data migration
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "absolutely_free AT libero DOT it" <absolutely_free AT libero DOT it>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 16:17:52 -0600
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM, absolutely_free AT libero DOT it
<absolutely_free AT libero DOT it> wrote:

> we had problems on our backup storage. I think I'll be able to access some
> data, anyway.
> Now I'm going to restore BackupPC on new storage.
> My question is: can I simply copy /var/lib/backuppc content to a new storage?
> What would happen if some files from the old storage are not copied? BackupPC
> can be automatically aware of this and do a full backup of those files?

If the archive is very large it is generally not practical to copy it
with file-oriented programs (rsync -H, tar, etc.) because
reconstructing the hardlinks to the pool is slow and inefficient.
You may just want to start over with fresh backups rather than kill a
few days trying to copy the old ones - and just keep the old disks for
as long as you might need to try to recover something old.

But, there is this approach if you want to try it:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/?title=Move_backup_data

You can also image-copy the partition, but that will only work if
there are no errors reading the old copy.

Backuppc will detect missing/corrupt files and update them on the next
run (at least the next full).