BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping a large number of backups? Any drawbacks?

2013-12-05 13:53:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping a large number of backups? Any drawbacks?
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 19:51:58 +0100
On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 11:30:23 -0600 David Nelson
<david.nelson01 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I built a BackupPC server with good older hardware and installed two
> WD RED 3 TB drives and used  LVM to make them one big ~6 TB volume
> for backupPC. The system boots from a separate disk BTW. I am backing
> up teacher and student files for a small school district. The total
> backup before pooling and compression is around 800GB. My pool size
> is around 1TB with a months worth of daily incremental and full
> backups on Fridays. I did not realize when I built the server how
> amazingly efficiently BackupPC stores the backups. I did not
> anticipate being able to keep so many backups!
>
> Is there any reason not to just increase the full and incremental keep
> count to a something like the whole school year? Another though is to
> keep the fulls and incremental for maybe 3 months then let the
> incremental go and just keep the weekly fulls? So that's the
> question, if I have plenty of space is there any reason not to just
> keep a ton of backups?

There are examples in the docs to set the fullKeepCnt to value [4, 0,
4] for example, meaning keep 4 full at FullPeriod-interval (defaults
to 6.5 days), 0 backups at twice the FullPeriod and 4 backups before
that in four times the FullPeriod (which becomes roughly a month). For
a customer we use that to save weekly for two months and then
~monthly for one (or two) years. Works like charm.

- Arnold