BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore after upgrade advice?

2013-04-29 21:14:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore after upgrade advice?
From: Steve <zephod AT cfl.rr DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 1:13:15 +0000
---- Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Steve <zephod AT cfl.rr DOT com> wrote:
> >
> > Anyhow the installation of CentOS 6.4 went very smoothly. The only issue is
> > that the networking doesn't start automatically. I have to press a button
> > in the top menu bar. I'll look into that later.
>
> During install you are supposed to check the 'set up networking' box
> where you can set the options.  For a wired server you might want to
> just turn of NetworkManager and be sure you have the right things in
> the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth? file.
>
> > I am having some issues setting up backuppc. First of all, backuppc is not
> > in the standard Centos repoitories. I found a web page (don't have the URL
> > at the moment) that described installing backupc on Centos 6.3 and got it
> > installed. I set up apache from my old notes but right now I can't get my
> > browser to go to backuppc admin page. It's not authenticating even though I
> > know I have the user and password correct.
> >
> > I didn't get to spend too much time on it so I'm not panicing yet.
>
> Backuppc is in the EPEL repository.  You are likely to want other
> things from there too.

OK, so my authentication problem is solved. /etc/httpd/conf.d/BackupPC.conf had
AuthUserFile set to /etc/BackupPC/apache.users but I had created it in
/etc/httpd/passwd. I guess the preferred location has changed over the years. I
modified the BackupPC.conf file to point to /etc/httpd/passwd and now I can get
to the BackupPC server.
Any specific reason to rebuild the password file in the default location with
the default name?

Or I should say I >could< get to the server before I tried to configure the
BackupPC server to point at my old backup.
The problem is that my backups are on an ext3 filesystem whereas my new CentOS
6.4 is partitioned with ext4.

I can use tune3fs to convert ext3 to ext4 but I'm a little nervous about doing
it. If it goes wrong, there go my backups.
On the other hand the backups are no use if I can't get to them.

Anyone done this before? The h/w the backups are on is an external 1T USB
MyBook.

Thanks,
Steve