BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore after upgrade advice?

2013-04-27 15:15:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore after upgrade advice?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:14:32 -0500
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Steve <zephod AT cfl.rr DOT com> wrote:
> It's time for an upgrade. I've been putting this off for a long time but my
> motherboard died and has been replaced so now is as good a time as any.
> I'm currently running Fedora 12 for which I have a full backup.
> I'm going to go to CentOS 6.4.
>
> Any "gotyas" to be aware of?
> Any similar experiences anyone would care to share?
> I hoping it will be as simple as install CentOS, setup BackupPC, and restore
> my home directories.

The OS should not have anything under /home that will actually break
if you overwrite it, but a lot of applications keep per-user defaults
and preferences in 'hidden' files (names start with '.') in home
directories and there can be problems when the running versions don't
match the files.    Fedora12->CentOS6.x is actually a pretty close
match, application version wise, so I would not expect many problems
but it is something to be aware of and check if certain applications
complain or act strangely.