BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore after upgrade advice?

2013-04-29 10:17:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore after upgrade advice?
From: Steve <zephod AT cfl.rr DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:15:37 -0400
---- backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org wrote:
> Steve wrote at about 13:06:18 -0400 on Saturday, April 27, 2013:
>  > It's time for an upgrade. I've been putting this off for a long time but
> my motherboard died and has been replaced so now is as good a time as any.
>  > I'm currently running Fedora 12 for which I have a full backup.
>  > I'm going to go to CentOS 6.4.
>  >
>  > Any "gotyas" to be aware of?
>  > Any similar experiences anyone would care to share?
>  > I hoping it will be as simple as install CentOS, setup BackupPC, and
> restore my home directories.
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  > Steve
>
> One of these days I will be doing the same thing... I am running
> Fedora 12 on an ancient P4 system (almost 11 years old)... I got sick
> of the every 6 month Fedora update where it would take the first month
> or two just to get it all stable... so I plan to switch to the latest
> Centos.
>
> I would love to hear about your experiences -- good, bad, and
> gotchas...

I had the same as you - F12 on a P4 system. F13 increased the required boot
partition size and I didn't feel like reinstalling at the time. Then Fedora
went off the rails with their GNOME3 experiment which put me off completely.
Finally though, the caps gave ot on my motherboard so I bought a new
motherboard, processor and memory. I also had to get a new optical drive since
the new motherboard had no IDE interface.

Anyhow the installation of CentOS 6.4 went very smoothly. The only issue is
that the networking doesn't start automatically. I have to press a button in
the top menu bar. I'll look into that later.

I am having some issues setting up backuppc. First of all, backuppc is not in
the standard Centos repoitories. I found a web page (don't have the URL at the
moment) that described installing backupc on Centos 6.3 and got it installed. I
set up apache from my old notes but right now I can't get my browser to go to
backuppc admin page. It's not authenticating even though I know I have the user
and password correct.

I didn't get to spend too much time on it so I'm not panicing yet.

Steve.