BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Stop TrachClean / Return directories backup list

2013-03-20 19:42:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Stop TrachClean / Return directories backup list
From: Phil Kennedy <Phillip.kennedy AT yankeeairmuseum DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:41:07 -0400
Self-replying to add a little detail here;

The system that failed is a Red Hat Enterprise system (5.9 at the
moment.) The system has the backuppc (3.2.0) pool living on a Promise
vTrak system in a Software RAID 10 (softlinked to a partition called
/backup). That part is fine.

The OS drives were supposed to have been configured as a software RAID 1
but (and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how this could happen
aside from malice or gross incompetence) the secondary drive (/dev/sdb)
apparently hadn't synced with the primary drive (/dev/sda) since August
of 2009. Literally everything (passwd, group, grub, fstab, the works)
there was almost four years old. Unfortunately for me, the primary drive
failed taking the current (though supposedly, mirrored) configs with it.
The system obviously has undergone a great deal of expansion and
tweaking in the interim. Thus, the config files in /etc/backuppc were
essentially the defaults.

Now, the folders within the directories are there. There are directories
under /backup/pc/hostname/ by those directories do not show in the menu
when you try to to browse via the web interface.

I'll set TreashCleanSleepSec to a ridiculous number as was suggested.
Obviously, once I realized that the system may have been eating or had
eaten data, I stopped the backuppc service. There is some data currently
in /backup/trash (though murphey's law says it won't be any of the more
important data that may be missing). If I can ID which system the data
came from, I can probably just move the data back under its host
directory, correct? under ../trash the directories are named something
like 1363794493_24518_0, if I move them under ../pc/hostname/ and give
them a name like 100, it should show as backup 100, correct? (assuming
all permissions are correct?)

Thanks for the pointers. This event has furthered my belief that
software RAID is crap.
~Phil