BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Forcing time distribution of backups?

2013-03-13 18:04:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Forcing time distribution of backups?
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:02:39 -0400
Brad Alexander wrote at about 16:20:08 -0400 on Wednesday, March 13, 2013:
 > Hey,
 >  I've been playing with this gant.pl script from the other thread, which
 > showed visual evidence of something I already knew. Most of my backups fire
 > within about a 30 minute period. I already knew this, as I've also seen
 > load average complaints out of nagios because of all of the backups running
 > at once. I had it this way once, where I started backups by hand every 30
 > minutes or so...But then after a power failure, they all started at once.
 >
 > So I'm wondering, is there a way to better force a better distribution of
 > backup jobs during the day?

Focus on solving the issue (if any) not on the symptoms or side
effects. There is nothing intrinsically bad/good with how backups are
distributed provided they fit the window you desire and are not
causing load issues.

As others have said, if load average is an *issue*, than the solution
is to reduce the Max backups number. The distribution will then follow
to meet the restriction. However, just because nagios complains, still
doesn't mean it's an issue provided that the high load average isn't
clobbering other critical processes...