BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Connection failed, nt status bad network name - Solved

2013-03-12 23:38:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Connection failed, nt status bad network name - Solved
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Jeff Boyce <jboyce AT meridianenv DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 04:36:55 +0100
Hi,

Jeff Boyce wrote on 2013-03-12 13:01:05 -0700 [[BackupPC-users] Connection
failed, nt status bad network name - Solved]:
> [...]
> I am not receiving list emails for some reason [...]

sorry, I somehow missed sending you an explicit copy of my previous reply, so
you probably didn't get that.

Les Mikesell wrote on 2013-03-12 15:23:40 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Connection failed, nt status bad network name - Solved]:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Jeff Boyce <jboyce AT meridianenv DOT com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The initial symptoms of the problem I was having was showing that backuppc
> > was showing ping failures to the network host name, and a message of
> > NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME.  This led me to believe that I had a bad name
> > resolution setup on my network.  That was not the case, and the message that
> > backuppc provides stating that ping to host have failed, is clearly a lie,

Well, not really. At that point in time, it was not able to reach the target
host because of a misconfiguration.

> > and as a result is very misleading when trying to diagnose the true problem.

Yes, it is somewhat cryptic. But it's not always easy to anticipate all
possible causes for a failure. Should each error message state,

  This could be caused by a misconfiguration. Please check your setup and
  read the documentation again to make sure you have understood each setting.

Wouldn't that be annoying?

> > In my research I saw references to invoking backuppc from the command line
> > to get more verbose error.  So I tried that, and saw that pings were
> > actually succeeding, even though the web interface was continuing to show
> > the ping failure error rate climbing.
>
> Was this before or after changing the DHCP option?   I don't see any
> nmblookup attempt here.

That doesn't really matter :-). You called 'BackupPC_dump' without the '-d'
flag. The scheduler doesn't do that for hosts with the DHCP option set. Once
you set the flag to 0, BackupPC does (practically) the same as you did on the
command line (I didn't check the exact options ...), and you get:

> Anonymous login successful
>
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate 6002 Service Pack 2]
> Server=[Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate 6.0]
>
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

(no longer BAD_NETWORK_NAME).

> > In the end I made one change to the host configuration file, and one change
> > to the server configuration file.  The host change that I made was the dhcp
> > flag. I unchecked the box (dhcp=0).  This change eliminated the bad network
> > name error, but did not resolve the issue.

That's not quite correct. It eliminated the first issue and exposed a second
one. I'm sure you would have received an instant answer on this one. Even I
spotted the bogus '-N' switch at first glance, and I've never even used smb
XferMethod.
You'll have to admit that this was a bit hard for us to anticipate - while you
gave much detail, the one thing you *didn't* post was your SmbClient*Cmd
settings ;-).

> > [...]
> > It looks like maybe the smbclient -N flag should be removed from the stock
> > configuration file if it is affecting all the distributions.
>
> [...]
> If there were any development on the base system it probably should be
> changed there now - but none has happened for a while.

In other words: it will be fixed in BackupPC-3.2.2. The only question is
whether there will ever be a 3.2.2 release ;-).

Regards,
Holger