BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools

2013-03-13 07:53:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools
From: Stephen Joyce <sjbupc AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 07:52:11 -0400
I'm in a situation where I find myself desiring per-pc pools.[1]

It's been a while since I've dipped my toes into the BackupPC's code, but I've done a bit of preliminary research into this, and think I've identified the places where changes would need to be made to allow the pool or cpool to be overridden for individual PCs -- nominally to be located at $TopDir/pc/$host/cpool, for example.

The idea here is would be to allow different PCs' pools to reside on different physical filesystems for political reasons. I don't want to
disable pooling entirely since it still has features that would be beneficial even if pooling one (or a few) PCs rather than an entire
organization.

I haven't read this list regularly in a few years, so I thought I'd ask: has anyone gone down this path before me? If so, did you succeed or fail? I'd like to compare notes either way.

[1] My specific situation is that I have multiple linux PCs with large volumes of research data. This data is generally unique to that PC with little duplication between PCs (at least between PCs of different research groups). The storage to backup this data is also usually funded by individual faculty accounts (sometimes grants) and as such should be dedicated to that faculty's PC(s). Separate BackupPC servers (real or virtual) is another option I have considered, but seems unnecessarily wasteful.

Cheers,
Stephen