BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keep backup data when source host/directory changes

2013-03-06 09:49:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keep backup data when source host/directory changes
From: Mark Campbell <mcampbell AT emediatrade DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 07:48:44 -0700
I've not personally tried this, so someone else who has can comment on whether
this would work or not, but it seems to me that if you were to rename your
backups to the new servername, that they would show up for the new server
accordingly.  These would be the locations that you would need to change the
server name in:
-The Backup directory (e.g., /var/lib/BackupPC/pc/<server name>)
-Inside the hosts file (/etc/BackupPC/hosts)
-The server config file (/etc/BackupPC/pc/<server name>.pl)

As for the differing locations, you haven't mentioned what method you use to
back up this server.  I use rsync (and I think most people do).  In the case of
rsync, even with the data being in a different place, you can still set up the
rsync.conf file on the host to use the same rsync path, pointing to a different
place.  As an example, let's say that I had data in /home/user/data being
backed up, and that the rsync path for this was rsync://<host>/data1.  You
could continue to use that path in rsync should you decide to move the data to
/var/data1 by repointing it to the new directory.  BackupPC would know no
differently.  This example was a linux host.  You also didn't mention what type
of host it was, but in the case of rsync, this would work for a windows host as
well.

Thanks,

--Mark