BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Unattended off-site replication

2011-10-24 23:36:21
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Unattended off-site replication
From: "Steve M. Robbins" <steve AT sumost DOT ca>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:19:44 -0500
Hi,

I know many people have discussed how to achive an offsite archive of
backuppc pool.  During a discussion last February [1], Timothy Massey [2]
and Jeffrey Kosowsky [3] summarized the options as follows:

1) Run two BackupPC servers and have both back up the hosts
   directly.  No replication at all:  it just works.
2) Use some sort of block-based method of replicating the data
3) Scripts that understand the special structure of the pool and pc
   trees and efficiently create lists of all hard links in pc directory.

I'll be replicating over a thin residential ISP connection (rules out
option #1) and I want it to be completely unattended (no option #2).
As for Option #3, I tried J. Kosowsky's script BackupPC_copyPcPool but
stopped it after 12 hours without completing.

One thing that all these methods have in common is that they scan the
entire pool filesystem.  I accept that I will have to do that at
least initially.  However, to send daily updates, it seems unnecessary
to re-scan the filesytem again when backuppc itself already computes the
information needed:

* the set of files added to the pool
* the set of hardlinks in __TOPDIR__/pc/$host/$backup
* the set of files expired

It strikes me that backuppc could be taught to write all this out to
one or more journal files that could be replayed on the remote system
after the new files are transferred.

Does this make sense?  Has anyone investigated this approach?

Thanks,
-Steve

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg20839.html