BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Unattended off-site replication

2011-10-25 00:22:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Unattended off-site replication
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:21:26 -0500
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Steve M. Robbins <steve AT sumost DOT ca>
wrote:

> I know many people have discussed how to achive an offsite archive of
> backuppc pool.  During a discussion last February [1], Timothy Massey [2]
> and Jeffrey Kosowsky [3] summarized the options as follows:
>
> 1) Run two BackupPC servers and have both back up the hosts
>   directly.  No replication at all:  it just works.
> 2) Use some sort of block-based method of replicating the data
> 3) Scripts that understand the special structure of the pool and pc
>   trees and efficiently create lists of all hard links in pc directory.
>
> I'll be replicating over a thin residential ISP connection (rules out
> option #1)

Unless you have several hosts that hold duplicate data, after you get
the initial fulls option #1 with rysnc transport over ssh or a vpn
with compression enabled won't be moving more data than other ways you
might attempt it.