BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] localhost (BackupPC_tarCreate failed)

2011-10-12 08:54:53
Subject: [BackupPC-users] localhost (BackupPC_tarCreate failed)
From: Joseph Reeves <iknowjoseph AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:53:05 +0100
Hi all,

I've recently inherited a backuppc system and am having trouble restoring backups to localhost. I've had a search around, but haven't been able to resolve the issue.

The backuppc server backs up a number of remote machines, but unfortunately it also has to backup a basic NAS device. The NAS is mounted via smb, allowing us to backup this box from the mount point. The backuppc host is happily restoring files to remote file servers.

Attempts to restore to localhost, however, always create the following BackupPC_tarCreate error:

2011-10-12 11:01:58 restore started below directory /media/sl3/data_archive
2011-10-12 11:02:02 restore failed (BackupPC_tarCreate failed)

We thought there may be an issue with the mounting, so tried restoring to /tmp, but received the same error.

I've read [1] that in order to restore to localhost, the backuppc user must be able to successfully ssh localhost. This was initially not possible, but I have enabled ssh via key auth [2] and restores continue to fail.

I've tried reading the RestoreLOG file, but it's in .z format - I don't seem to have anything on my Ubuntu laptop that s happy with this. Are there any suggestions? I'm under the impression that this file should include the command that backuppc attempted to run?

I would be extremely grateful for any advice on this. Apologies if I've left out some important details - let me know what you need to know and I'll be more than happy to send it on.

Thanks, Joseph

[1] http://adsm.org/lists/html/BackupPC-users/2011-08/msg00213.html

[2]

backuppc@lancbkup:~$ ssh localhost
Linux lancbkup 2.6.24-29-server #1 SMP Fri Jun 24 19:26:07 UTC 2011 i686

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.

To access official Ubuntu documentation, please visit:
http://help.ubuntu.com/
You have new mail.
Last login: Wed Oct 12 13:39:48 2011 from localhost
backuppc@lancbkup:~$