BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] RAID and offsite

2011-04-27 20:12:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] RAID and offsite
From: Chris Parsons <Chris.Parsons AT petrosys.com DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:40:02 +0930
On 28/04/2011 6:52 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
 that wasn't the case the OP was referring to.
I've forgotten the original context, but if it is setting up a new
system you don't have much to lose in the initial sync - and by the time
you do, you should have another copy already stored offsite.

In this case, why involve the complexities of RAID at all. Just use individual disks, each with their own pool and rotate them. If a disk fails, you only lose that pool. It avoids all the complexities of raid - and the danger of raid corruption. I don't see any point in involving raid until you need to span pools over more than one disk.

--

Chris Parsons
System / Network Administrator

Petrosys Pty Ltd
Level 4 North, 191 Pulteney Street
Adelaide SA 5000  AUSTRALIA
Ph: +61 8 8227 2799  |  Direct: +61 8 8418 1922  |  Fax: +61 8 8227 2626
www.petrosys.com.au