BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] RAID and offsite

2011-04-26 12:39:57
Subject: [BackupPC-users] RAID and offsite
From: Michael Conner <mdc1952 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:38:41 -0500
I installed BPC a few weeks ago and have been doing testing and setup since
then and have things working pretty well on several linux, windows, and mac
clients (ultimately there will be about 15 clients). The server is a Dell 2400
with a 160gb ide drive, Centos 5.6, BPC 3.1 installed with yum from the testing
repos. I've added a sata controller and two 2t drives as a raid 1 setup, which
is what I'll use for real backups. I can't boot off the sata drives, so I boot
from the ide drive and put topdir on the satas.

I've done some searching on offsite backups as I would like to maintain at
least a recent copy offsite as disaster protection. DD has been too slow for
these large drives (I would have to leave it going overnight with no backups
running). I may go with periodic archives using the BPC archive function.

However, another idea intrigued me that I saw in an earlier posting. Someone
used a RAID 1 setup but only put in the second disk periodically, then removed
it for offsite storage. I have three 2T drives, so was considering something
similar where I would keep a normal 2-disk RAID 1 setup but periodically remove
one disk and replace it with a prior offsite disk.

Not being particularly experienced in all this, I was hoping someone on the
list could offer advice on whether this was a good ideal or not and potential
pitfalls.

Thanks

Mike