BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] RAID and offsite

2011-04-27 08:49:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] RAID and offsite
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:47:42 -0400
Adam Goryachev wrote at about 16:08:56 +1000 on Wednesday, April 27, 2011:

 > On 27/04/11 15:44, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Les Mikesell wrote at about 12:08:22 -0500 on Tuesday, April 26,
 > > 2011:
 > >> It is working for me, but I use a 3-member RAID1 where 2 are always
 > >>  connected and the 3rd is rotated out periodically.  This isn't
 > >> really necessary but when I was first trying it with one internal,
 > >> one external drive the internal one failed, corrupting the attached
 > >> external, and it was something of a hassle to rebuild from the
 > >> remaining offsite external.
 > > I did it that way where the 3rd 'backup' drive was mounted via USB
 > > and had a *catastrophic* failure where something went wrong with the
 > > 3rd drive causing all three RAID1 members to become corrupted. I'm
 > > not sure exactly what but I ended up losing 2 years of backups.
 >
 > I suppose everyone has had their own experience with all these things,
 > but at the end of the day, this is a pure risk/benefit analysis
 >
 > > I think a safer alternative would be to do what the OP proposes --
 > > that way you always have one safe copy not part of the RAID in case
 > > something messes up....
 >
 > In other words, you are increasing the risk of your one remaining HDD to
 > fail during the time that you are syncing the latest removable drive you
 > just plugged in. You are potentially decreasing your risk of corrupting
 > your RAID array due to some unknown hardware issue with a previously
 > used USB HDD.

But you still have a removed spare that was up to date as of the time
you removed it just prior to inserting your backup drive. So, at most
you lost a few hours of a concurrently running backuppc process and if
you halted backuppc prior to synching (as per Les's approach -- which
is a good idea to prevent disk thrashing anyway) then you haven't lost
anything, assuming you have nothing else running on that disk.

 > As opposed to decreasing your risk to a single disk failure during a
 > RAID1 resync (when adding the third disk), and increasing the risk of
 > array corruption due to some weird code problem that you may have
 > experienced some time in the past...
 >
 > Not to minimise the issues you had, just wanted to remind everyone to
 > properly analyse the risks with the different options they select.

I still think that losing all 3 (which however unlikely is still
possible) is way, way, way, worse than potentially losing 1-2 out of 3
and still having a spare to recover (carefully) from. And my case can
occur if you lose a disk controller or if there is a transient or if
you do something stupid and overwrite the disk, etc...