BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ubuntu, RAID 1 For Top Dir Not Working

2011-04-13 15:03:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ubuntu, RAID 1 For Top Dir Not Working
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:01:28 -0400
On 4/13/2011 8:42 AM, ak88 wrote:
> Having played with backup pc on defaults and decided it was what I wanted to
> implement I decided to set it up properly on my real machine. I have a Raid 1
> array with ext4 and did a new install of BackupPc.
>
> Tried to edit the config.pl to repoint the top dir from /var/lib/backuppc to
> /raid/backuppc and also tried a symlink. On restarting backup pc I get an
> error about failing to create hard links on the file system.
>
> Is Raid 1 a no no with ext4? I tried google but came up with no solution.

Raid 1 and ext4 should not cause any problems, AFAIK.

The symlink should definitely have worked, and I believe that changing
the TopDir will work with the newer versions (With older versions, you
were stuck with the TopDir that was configured at compile-time).

The only real limitation is that the pool directory and all of the pc
directories must be on the same filesystem and that filesystem must
support hard links.  Since all of that is below TopDir, you should be fine.

What is the exact error you are getting?

--
Bowie