BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 15:09:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:06:26 -0400
Joe Konecny wrote at about 13:58:08 -0400 on Friday, March 18, 2011:
 > On 3/18/2011 1:50 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Les Mikesell wrote at about 10:49:33 -0500 on Friday, March 18, 2011:
 > >   >  On 3/18/2011 10:26 AM, Joe Konecny wrote:
 > >   >  >  On 3/18/2011 11:00 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
 > >   >  >>  But no one is selling a product here.
 > >   >  >
 > >   >  >  It is being sold in a metaphorical sense.
 > >   >
 > >   >  So, do I get a metaphorical commission if I help metaphorically sell
 > >   >  copies to people who won't bother to read the docs?
 > >
 > > I thought he was volunteering to write metaphorical documentation and
 > > then provide metaphorical links  when clueless users post questions
 > > on BackupCentral that have already been answered hundreds of time on
 > > the mailing list and in the docs.
 >
 > Come on Jeffery...  I thought I was getting through...  It is best to
 > either...

I see you missed the implied humor -- you may retrospectively append a
'LOL' if that helps. I will add one here too. LOL.

 > 1. Answer the OP's question.
 > 2. Refer the OP to the docs.
 > 3. Be quiet.
 >
 > Probably in that order too.

I think you are steps -2, -1, 0
Probably in that order too..

-2. Read the documentation and Wikki
-1. Search the archives to see if the question has been asked a hundred
        times or so before (google is not that hard to use for most people)
0.  Pose a specific question with all the details someone might need
        to answer your question (in almost all cases more is better than
        less).

If those steps are done, first, then I would agree with your steps 1,
2, 3.

An optional but important step 1/2 would be to be humble in how you
ask your questions and grateful to both the developers and those who
are trying to help you -- since none of them are getting paid for
their efforts.