BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 12:23:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard AT eircom DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:21:25 +0000
Joe Konecny wrote:

>>> There are loads of ms forums out there.  Many of them are
>>> very professional.
>>
>> Such as ...
>>

> google them... They aren't hard to find.  Look at the forum activity and
> the number of replies and you can get a good idea of a good forum.  This
> should get you started...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx
>
> http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories
>
> http://www.brianmadden.com/forums/default.aspx

Well, if I have a Windows problem (quite common on my wife's work laptop)
I always start by googling for "site:microsoft.com <problem>",
so I would have met the first two you mention.

I can only say that in my experience it is quite rare
for anyone to offer sensible or helpful Windows advice
without at the same time offering to run a "free" service
to check your Registry, which turns out to cost $25 if you try to run it
(after telling you that your Registry contains 573 errors).

I'll try the third site you mention, maybe that will change my views.

But at present I am firmly of the opinion
that one is far more likely to get sensible advice
(even about Windows problems) on Linux forums like this one.

Of course, a Windows query on a Linux forum will lead to a lot of ranting,
but one frequently gets an answer among the screams.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net