BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Generating folders to backup from script

2010-11-29 04:57:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Generating folders to backup from script
From: Cyril Lavier <clavier+backuppc AT ltutech DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:54:46 +0100
Matthias Meyer wrote:
> Cyril Lavier wrote:
>

>> Hi.
>>
>> I need to backup some folders on a server, which are not static, and I
>> usually generate the folder list using a command (find).
>>
>> On the documentation, I can't find anything on using a command to
>> generate the folder list.
>>
>> I tried some things, like putting a command which edits the .pl file in
>> $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd}, but it doesn't seems to work.
>>
>> If you have any idea, this could help me.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> What's about backing up the root folder and exclude folders which are should
> not backed up?
>
> If you use rsync you can also modify the rsyncd.conf on client-side (your
> server) during $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd}.
>
> rsyncd.conf:
> [DynamicFolders]
>  path = /whereverTheRoot
>  exclude = *
>  include = /whereverTheRoot/dynFolder1 /whereverTheRoot/dynFolder2 ...
>
> br
> Matthias

Hi Matthias, that's a good idea.

I was only thinking on rsync+ssh, and rsyncd also exists.

For information, I tried to rsync the complete root folder. And it took
hours only to generate the file list to transfer.

This is why I had to use a find command to divide to file tree in
smaller ones to be faster to backup.

I will try your solution and reply to the list to inform about the results.

Thanks.

--
Cyril LAVIER | Systems Administrator | LTU Technologies
132 Rue de Rivoli - 75001 Paris France