BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Controlling Full Backup

2010-11-03 12:32:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Controlling Full Backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:30:42 -0500
On 11/3/2010 10:54 AM, Rob Poe wrote:
> Is there a way to control the day that the full backup happens?  I have
> a server I'm backing up that has more than 450 gigs, and the full backup
> takes ~ 2 days, which I'd like to happen over a weekend.
>
> So I'd like the full to take place on a Friday.

The simple way is to start a full from the web interface at about the
time you'd like them to repeat and let the approximately-weekly timing
take it from there.

> Unless BackupPC makes a "full" backup after the first one that is really
> only an rsync of what it already has...

Yes, if you are using rsync or rsynd, it will only transfer the
differences.  However, the full runs do take longer than incrementals
because backuppc adds the --ignore-times option to rsync which makes it
read and do a block checksum comparison of all files - but only the
differences are sent so it doesn't take a lot more bandwidth.