BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Controlling Full Backup

2010-11-03 12:28:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Controlling Full Backup
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:26:29 -0400
On 11/3/2010 11:54 AM, Rob Poe wrote:
> Is there a way to control the day that the full backup happens?  I have
> a server I'm backing up that has more than 450 gigs, and the full backup
> takes ~ 2 days, which I'd like to happen over a weekend.
>
> So I'd like the full to take place on a Friday.

You have two options:

1) Manually start a full backup on Friday.  After this, the full backup
should always run on Friday unless there is some sort of interruption or
failure.

2) Disable the automatic backups and schedule them manually via cron.
This works fine, but bypasses your settings for maximum number of
concurrent backups.  The backup will always run when manually started
regardless of what else BackupPC is doing.

> Unless BackupPC makes a "full" backup after the first one that is really
> only an rsync of what it already has...

The main difference between a full and incremental backup when using
rsync is that the full backup walks the entire directory tree and checks
each file for differences.  The incremental backup only checks files
where the timestamp has been updated since the last full backup.  In
both cases only the differences are transferred across the network.  The
full backup takes longer due to having to check each file, but it can
find changes that might be missed by the incremental backup due to the
timestamp being older than the last full backup for one reason or
another (old files copied from another system, manual fiddling with the
timestamp, etc).

--
Bowie