BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC work?

2010-10-29 09:18:22
Subject: [BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC work?
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:16:51 -0500
There is surprisingly little info on how BackupPC really works, at
least with the google searches I've tried. I'm just looking for a
concise overview of how the different backup methods work and how they
are different from one another.

The reason I'm looking for this information is I will be giving a
presentation of BackupPC to my local LUG.

I'm looking for something as close as I can get to:

Rsync:
1. BackupPC does x.
2. Then this.
3. Then this.
4. etc.

Rsyncd:
1. Same as rsync except x.

Tar:

Smb:

and so forth.

For instance: I can understand how tar over SSH transfers files. But
who decides what files to transfer? Does BackupPC crawl the share
first and build a filelist? Or is there an option for tar that takes
care of if for BackupPC?

For SMB I understand that it would just look like a local filesystem
after the share is mapped to the BackupPC server. Then what? Does it
use rsync against the network share?

Thanks,
Richard