BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC work?

2010-10-29 13:09:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC work?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:08:24 -0500
On 10/29/2010 11:50 AM, Kris Lou wrote:
> This is informative.  Comparing Rsync vs Rsyncd, which has less load on
> the client side?  I'm considering moving away from my implementation
> rsync via autofs cifs.

Rysnc over ssh will have some additional load for encryption - but you
can minimize that by using blowfish.  If you don't need encryption, the
choice should be more about which you'd rather set up and whether you'd
use ssh for anything else.  In older versions of the windows/cygwin
ports of ssh and rsync there was a bug that would make it hang at random
when rsync was started by sshd, but that is fixed in the current (1.7.x)
versions.  It's probably easier to set up a standalone rsyncd on
windows, but with ssh you can mix/match windows and linux without much
regard for the differences.