BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Documentation lagging behind the GUI

2010-10-20 16:56:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Documentation lagging behind the GUI
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:54:43 -0500
On 10/20 02:27 , itismike wrote:
> While the charm of OSS is that the code is easily accessible, I've found
> that most of the documentation steps refer to editing curly bracket
> objects, which is great for developers, but not-so-great for everyday
> administration:

I and many other people do not find GUIs superior to editing config files
for 'everyday administration'. :)

The BackupPC config.pl file is generously commented and generally simple in
its form (name = value tuples) and while it does take a bit of reading to
understand; once you do understand it the ability to know what is actually
set (as opposed to trusting a layer of indirection in a GUI) is useful.

GUIs are good if you don't know what the options are; but quite often
they're little help in understanding what you actually need to do.

> Rsync/Rsyncd Configuration
> $Conf&#123;RsyncClientPath&#125; = '';
> &nbsp; &nbsp; Path to rsync executable on the client
> $Conf&#123;RsyncClientCmd&#125; = '$sshPath -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath
> $argList+';
> &nbsp; &nbsp; Full command to run rsync on the client machine. The following
> variables are substituted at run-time&#58;
> And the GUI actually has a drop-down list for choosing the type of backup:

Not sure what you're getting at here, or what your original message looked
like. Perhaps try posting in a block of plain text?

> Is there another version of the docs somewhere that is updated to walk a new
> user through the config based on options available in the GUI?

No idea.
The nice thing about config files is that it's really easy to doco them or
suggest things to people since they're comparatively 'flat' and contextless.
Just say "find <this> and replace it with <that>".

GUIs require screenshots or lengthy descriptions; and they're much more
prone to change and the doco going stale due to the change.

> Second question: why are there separate choices for rsync and rsyncd? Is the
> second option running the rsync demean on the client instead of the server?

rsync can run over ssh and launch an rsync program on the other side; or it
can connect to a running rsync server - in Unix parlance a 'daemon', hence
'rsyncd'.

in general, use rsync whenever possible.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator