BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Freeing up disk space (maybe with IncrFill)

2010-10-14 20:07:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Freeing up disk space (maybe with IncrFill)
From: "Jason A. Spiro" <jasonspiro4 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:04:33 -0400
Hi all,

To all developers and other contributors on this list:  Thank you for
contributing to BackupPC.

My client's BackupPC server's 1TB backup-storage RAID array is almost
out of space (96% full).  He's running BackupPC 3.1.0 on Ubuntu.  The
server backs up perhaps a few dozen hosts.  It's set to keep at least
one full backup and at least sixty incremental backups per host.

1.  I guessed that IncrFill was a good way to save space:  this way
only one full would be stored per machine.  Was I right?  Is IncrFill
the best way to save space?

2.  I enabled this a few hours ago and manually ran BackupPC_nightly
but the server hasn't filled any incrementals.  Is there a reasonably
easy way to force it to fill the incrementals?  (Otherwise I may just
set it not to keep any incrementals:  I figure that should make
BackupPC discard all of them, perhaps right after I reload the config
file.)

Thanks in advance,
Jason Spiro

--
Jason Spiro: software/web developer, packager, trainer, IT consultant.
I support Linux, UNIX, Windows, and more. Contact me to discuss your needs.