BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC backups slowing

2010-10-14 17:20:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC backups slowing
From: Pablo Weier <hostmaster AT ibsys DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:18:50 +0000 (UTC)
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome <at> real-time.com> writes:

> On 10/13 07:34 , Pablo Weier wrote:
> > Concurrent Jobs
> > ----------
> > MaxBackups = 22
>
> Good gawds. What's your system load at when you run with that setting?
>
> Even on a heavy-duty box, your disk accesses will be the bottleneck, and to
> cut down head thrashing I usually don't set MaxBackups higher than '2'. I
> think the default of '4' only makes sense if you're backing all the machines
> up over slow links.

I have never seen the load over 25...and this box has 32 Nehalem cores in it,
48GB of RAM, and 40TB of disk over 48 discs...it runs fine.  However, it has
also never actually had 22 backups running at once.  (I shouldn't have posted
that number as that is the amount I move it up to to try to increase the
throttle to allow more jobs through.  It was actually at 10 before I started
messing around.  ...but obviously that is still outside your expectations.  I am
not denying that disk will be my bottleneck - but it is not the problem I am
hitting at the moment.

I phrased my question poorly the first time.  I should not have said that "it
slows down" - I should have said that the concurrent jobs has dropped
significantly.  I used to regularily see 10 jobs running at once - and the box
running fine.  However, recently I have only seen 1 job running concurrently.
(With all the queued jobs I mentioned previously just seeming to be waiting
their turn.)

Thanks for the response - sorry for the lack of clarity.