BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC backups slowing

2010-10-13 15:42:05
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC backups slowing
From: Pablo Weier <hostmaster AT ibsys DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:34:42 +0000 (UTC)
Apologies in advance, as I am rather a newb to this system.  I have been running
BackupPC for a few months now backing up approximately 20TB raw across 30
machines - but I am NOW noticing almost no throughput of jobs kicking off,
unlike when I first started the system.

I suspect it has something to do with concurrent jobs running.  I had been
playing with "MaxBackups" (setting at 22 currently)...well, actually here are
all the settings:

Concurrent Jobs
----------
MaxBackups = 22
MaxUserBackups = 4
MaxPendingCmds = 10
MaxBackupPCNightlyJobs = 2
BackupPCNightlyPeriod = 1

But only one thing is running out of the scheduler today (and for a while).

I notice in the "Queue Summary" page that the Background Queue Summary is around
40 jobs - ranging back up to 10 days old.   But even worse is the "Command Queue
Summary"...which has BackupPC_nightly jobs going back a month.

<snip>
admin1  10/11 01:00     BackupPC        BackupPC_nightly 128 255
admin   9/13 01:00      BackupPC        BackupPC_nightly -m 0 127
admin1  10/3 01:00      BackupPC        BackupPC_nightly 128 255
admin   10/10 01:00     BackupPC        BackupPC_nightly -m 0 127
</snip>

There are plenty of horsies left on this box - so I crank some throttles here.
But which one do I have to turn up?

I see that _nightly is supposed to be able to run concurrently with backups -
and I could turn turn up $Conf{MaxBackupPCNightlyJobs} = 2; ...but it seems that
isn't suppose to interfere with $Conf{MaxBackups} = 22 - right?

Sorry to be so dense.

--Pablo