BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issue with SMB and "My Documents" folder?

2010-10-14 15:26:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issue with SMB and "My Documents" folder?
From: Jim Kyle <jim AT jimkyle DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:54:32 -0500
On Thursday, October 14, 2010, at 12:53:24 PM, Craig A wrote:

> Thanks very much - appreciate the info.   I've looked at your
> examples and I'm still having issues.

The SMB protocol seems to be a moving target; things that were working for
me a year ago have quit working after updates to the Samba packages. This
has nothing to do with BackupPC itself, but adds to the issues.

A solution that now works for me, to access Windows folders that have
spaces in their names such as "My Documents," is to go into Windows'
sharing configuration dialogs and make such folders into separate shares.
For the "Share as" edit box when doing so, I put "MyDocs" or something
similar, with no embedded space and a name that's slightly different from
what Windows uses. This makes that folder appear as an entire separate
share to other systems, and bypasses all the problems of embedded spaces.
It can also solve permissions problems, since you can set permissions for
the share that can differ from those that Windows assigns to the folder
(which was actually the reason I came up with this approach in the first
place).

Then in the BackupPC configuration file, use the new share name instead of
the original, and include "*" from it instead of giving the actual path
names all over again (or if you only want to back up specific files and
sub-folders you can list them).

--
Jim Kyle
mailto:jim AT jimkyle DOT com