BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to get total on-disk backup size from the backups file? ( was Re: The "total" field in the backups file. )

2010-10-07 17:31:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to get total on-disk backup size from the backups file? ( was Re: The "total" field in the backups file. )
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 16:29:14 -0500
On 10/7/2010 4:13 PM, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 10:45:42AM -0700, Craig Barratt wrote:
>> Robin,
>>
>>> Is the format written up anywhere?
>>
>> Yes, it's in the documentation:
>>
>>      http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#storage_layout
>>
>> Scroll down to "backups".
>
> *blink*
>
> I *swear* I looked.  -_-
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't really answer my question.
>
> I *think* to get the amount of on-disk space used by each backup, I
> want size minus sizeExist.  Anyone have knowledge to the contrary?

I'm not sure it is even possible to make sense of sizes in terms of
separate machines since files with identical content will take the same
amount of space no matter how many instances you have and all but one
backup will see it as an existing file.  But if the used space is
growing you should be able to find it that way.