BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Failing incrementals and fulls resolved by moving aside prior full?

2010-09-17 14:42:43
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Failing incrementals and fulls resolved by moving aside prior full?
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:10:58 +0000
Hi all:

I have been having an issue with one of my systems for the past 4
days. It backs up /, /var/bak and gets the directory tree for
/var/log, but it never transfers any files. It looks like the rsync
just stalls with a repeating select (according to strace) on file
descriptor 1 (the input from the backuppc server) like it's waiting
for a command.

I tried starting a new full backup which has gotten me around this
problem before, but it was stalling at the same point after a couple
of trials. Also when it stalls, the client rsync has no open file
descriptor 3 (the file being backed up) but does have fd 0, 1 and 2
open (according to lsof).

The incremental and full backups were using backup #90 as their
reference. This morning I moved backup 90 out of the way (to 90.aside)
and started a full backup. At this point it is running through the
files in the files in the /var/log/ tree and has been going strong for
a couple of hours.

I mention this since there seem to have been a few other mentions of
hangs over the years and this may get somebody past the problem.

Also I am hoping that somebody can figure out what is happening
here. It seems that some state in the prior (reference) backup is
causing the rsync protocol to stall.

So anybody with a bright idea of what I can try looking at?

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111