BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Failing incrementals and fulls resolved by moving aside prior full?

2010-09-17 15:04:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Failing incrementals and fulls resolved by moving aside prior full?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:02:10 -0500
On 9/17/2010 1:10 PM, John Rouillard wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I have been having an issue with one of my systems for the past 4
> days. It backs up /, /var/bak and gets the directory tree for
> /var/log, but it never transfers any files. It looks like the rsync
> just stalls with a repeating select (according to strace) on file
> descriptor 1 (the input from the backuppc server) like it's waiting
> for a command.
>
> I tried starting a new full backup which has gotten me around this
> problem before, but it was stalling at the same point after a couple
> of trials. Also when it stalls, the client rsync has no open file
> descriptor 3 (the file being backed up) but does have fd 0, 1 and 2
> open (according to lsof).
>
> The incremental and full backups were using backup #90 as their
> reference. This morning I moved backup 90 out of the way (to 90.aside)
> and started a full backup. At this point it is running through the
> files in the files in the /var/log/ tree and has been going strong for
> a couple of hours.
>
> I mention this since there seem to have been a few other mentions of
> hangs over the years and this may get somebody past the problem.
>
> Also I am hoping that somebody can figure out what is happening
> here. It seems that some state in the prior (reference) backup is
> causing the rsync protocol to stall.
>
> So anybody with a bright idea of what I can try looking at?

I think most of the stalls were either buggy cygwin/windows versions or
some stateful firewall/nat network device in the path that time out and
break the connection between devices in the long idle times you might
have in a backup run with mostly-identical files.   If neither of these
are possible, maybe you have filesystem corruption of some kind.