BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full Backups, Incrementals and Filling In

2010-06-21 13:03:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full Backups, Incrementals and Filling In
From: Mike Kallies <mike.kallies AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:01:34 -0400
On 6/21/2010 11:44 AM, Josh Malone wrote:
> When using rsync, only the block differences are EVER sent across the wire
> (unless you add '--whole-files' to the cmdline, IIRC). In backuppc, the
> only difference between a full and an incremental is how rsync determines
> what data to send. In an incremental, files are checked via last-modified
> time; in a full backups, a block-level compare is done across all files.
> This means the only real performance hit on a full backup is that the
> client rsync must read every block of every file -- but no extra data is
> sent across the wire.

This is great information.

I'm going to have to watch what goes over the wire.  I'm a firm believer
in backing stuff up and letting the software sort out the details...
this suits that philosophy well.  If I see anything interesting in the
transfer numbers, I'll post my findings here.

Thank you,

-Mike