BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] File restore integrity

2010-06-17 10:48:03
Subject: [BackupPC-users] File restore integrity
From: Jonathan Schaeffer <jonathan.schaeffer AT univ-brest DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:29:19 +0200
Hi all,

I'm administrating a BackupPC server and I'm concerned about the security of
the
whole system.

I configured the linux clients as unpriviledged users doing sudos for rsyncs to
limit the risk of intrusion from the backupPC server to the clients as
described
in the FAQ :
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html#how_can_client_access_as_root_be_avoided

But I found a simple way to screw up the client when the backupPC server is
corrupted :

It is easy to empty some (or all) files of a backup :

root@backuppc:/data/backuppc/pc/172.16.2.44/3/f%2f/fhome/fjschaeff# cat
/dev/null > f.bashrc

And then, when the client restores the file, it gets an empty file.

Is there a checking mechanism to ensure the integrity of the restored files ?
i.e. the server can check that the files he is about to restore is the same as
the one he stored previously ?

Cheers,

Jonathan