BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] File restore integrity

2010-06-18 15:01:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] File restore integrity
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:59:31 -0500
On 6/18/2010 2:25 AM, Jonathan Schaeffer wrote:

>> If you are going to corrupt something intentionally and you have root
>> access, you would also be able to replace/bypass any such check.  Don't
>> give anyone you don't trust root access...
> The problem is not who I give root access but who takes it in my back.

I think you are trying to solve the wrong problem.  Start with the
premise that it is impossible to fix a system where a good hacker has
had root access.

> First, I will not connect the BackupPC host to the internet
> Then, I'll use a file alteration monitor on the system to be aware of any
> modification in the backupPC core programs and in the data stored. iwatch
> looks
> like a good candidate.

Again, keep in mind that anything on the system can be subverted by a
good hacker, including these tools and their databases.

> Finaly, I'll keep in mind that anybody gaining root priviledges can basicaly
> do
> all imaginable stuff.
>
> Still, would'nt it be a nice feature to check the file integrity before the
> restore ? Not only in case of evil intrusion but also in case of data
> corruption, preventing corrupted data to be restored.

I'd rather have a copy that had not been corrupted, so before spending
an inordinate amount of time second-guessing ways to detect unlikely
problems, I'd try to make sure I had a solution for them - like a 2nd
instance of a backup server in a different location.  But, I suppose
such a check could be done by repeating the content-hashing pool
matching process to make sure you'd still map to the same pool filename.