BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Setup two NIC's to improve performance

2010-06-09 11:29:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Setup two NIC's to improve performance
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:27:52 -0500
On 06/09 04:26 , Jaco wrote:
> Would I be able to setup two nic's on my backuppc server to improve
> network transfer performance to the backuppc server.  I usually have a
> least two backups running at the same time on this server.  If this
> would be beneficial, what would be the right way of setting it up?

You'll likely get a lot more performance for your money by adding RAM; and
after that, faster disks.

If you already have a GB NIC, you're almost certainly outstripping disk
performance, especially with the calculations and comparisons BackupPC does
to data before writing it to disk.

The only way I can see that not being the case is if you're running some
high-end SSD.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator