BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Setup two NIC's to improve performance

2010-06-09 11:29:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Setup two NIC's to improve performance
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 16:27:35 +0100
What you want to do is create a bonded interface. Here's the Red Hat way:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-bond-or-team-multiple-network-interfaces-
nic-into-single-interface.html

And the Ubuntu way:

Yes, that will help with network throughput. However, in my experience the
limitation on BackupPC is checksum calculation and compression. My server and
most of my clients are connected via gigabit ethernet. However, 3 simultaneous
backups rarely exceeds 60 mbit in total. The best way to get that number up is
to beef up the CPU and RAM on the backup server, and run several simultaneous
backups.

Regards,
Tyler

On Wednesday 09 June 2010 15:26:19 Jaco wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Would I be able to setup two nic's on my backuppc server to improve
> network transfer performance to the backuppc server.  I usually have a
> least two backups running at the same time on this server.  If this
> would be beneficial, what would be the right way of setting it up?
>
> Thanx,
> Jaco

"An ambassador is an honest man sent to lie abroad for the good of
his country."
   -- Sir Henry Wotton