BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore via rsync gets stuck

2010-04-21 14:26:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore via rsync gets stuck
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:24:09 -0500
On 4/21/2010 11:50 AM, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:

>> No - or at least I haven't heard of it. Could you have filesystem corruption
>> on
>> either side?
>>

> Is there a way for me to run an integrity check on the backup?
> I'm using the special checksum caching parameter (--checksum-seed=32761),
> so if there's a way for me to check these files, or the whole backup,
> I'd appreciate it.

I was thinking in terms of unmounting and forcing a fsck - but if an
initial restore works it probably isn't a problem on the backup system.

> Back to my restore attempts...
>
> If I completely delete the file on the client side, it is restored
> correctly (that is to say, without rsync hanging). The next restore will
> again hang on the same file.

Out of disk space?  Rsync is annoyingly quite about this reason for
failure and will keep trying.

> So, here's a summary:
> - I had successfully restored a directory of about 8 Gb of files
> - I tried to restore it again later (after losing a few files due
>    to an ill considered rm)
> - the subsequent restore failed, with rsync hanging indefinitely
>    on some files
> - removing all files over 67413186 bytes in size made the restore work
>    (although I suspect the magic value is probably 64 Mb or something)

Maybe you just made enough space for the temp copy that rsync builds
during the restore.